Are you feeling enthusiastic about being single or jumping into the dating ring? Don’t worry. You’re not alone.
From reality shows to flicks on the silver screen to the lives of loved ones, we are inundated with stories of people falling in love and and deciding to spend the rest of their lives together. These kind of social influences can leave a person wondering “When’s my turn?”
There’s also a good chance that you’ve been hurt or suffered a bit of heartache in the past. The idea of facing that ordeal can be daunting and frustrating.
But dating can be fun. The first step is to squish the romantic ideals that tv or movies have fed us and put the bad dates or experiences behind you. Think about what the future could hold. Give yourself time to enjoy the dating process.
Here are a few tips to maximize your fun during the dating process:
1) Approach dating as not just looking for an important relationship. Focus on enjoyment and friendship. Date with the intention of meeting someone new rather than expecting them to be your lifelong partner.
2) View dating as a chance to widen your circle of friends. Even if a date doesn’t turn into a relationship, a person can’t have enough friendships.
3) Find innovative and unusual places to meet people. Join a club, volunteer or take up a new sport. Dating is a numbers game and your odds of meeting the right one increase by expanding your network and seeking like-minded people.
4) Walk away with one positive aspect from each and every date. Pick a quality, characteristic or value that you would like to have in a future mate, even if you weren’t attracted to that person. Each date is a chance to learn a bit more about you and what you want.
5) Become the person you would like to date. Use your experiences as an opportunity for personal growth.
6) Embrace your single status. Being single is an exciting time of life. It’s a chance to learn about yourself, to understand what you want from the future and what qualities you want in a partner. It’s a chance to grow your social network, expand your interests and reach beyond your comfort zones.
In the end, dating can and should be fun. Keep that in mind and you’ll have a much better time than you think.
Okay, no excuses. You can sit back and wait forever for your ever after or you can get out there and start having fun. I vote for fun!